Sunday, February 15, 2009

Good times and riches and son of a bitches...I have seen more than I can recall...

I have been on this adventure for over two weeks now... and tonight I finally figured out why I am here... I found something... or more accurately I rediscovered something...... me.

I am 38 years old and as I think back on my life it is interesting to think about all of the things I have experienced, all of the people that have come and gone in my life and everything that I have experienced that has brought me to where I am. A good friend told me years ago that there are friends for a reason, friends for a season and friends for life.... boy was she right.... too bad you can never tell who is which until after the fact.

I am always helping others, doing things for others and usually forget about me. I do take care of myself in terms of achieving goals... I do a good job of that, there are few if any goals I have set for myself that I have not achieved.

I tend to forget about myself though... I realized tonight as I sat out on the back of the boat that this is the first evening that I have totally relaxed in about seven years. The last time was when I lived at this cool house right on the beach in Jacksonville Beach. The house had this big front porch where I had my hammock setup. I would just chill out there and watch the people walk by. During the summer there was always people walking by and I could just lay there and watch the world go by.

See it on streetview: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=1300+1st+ave+s+jacksonville+beach,+fl+32250&ie=UTF8&ll=30.28742,-81.390045&spn=0.003632,0.009656&z=17&layer=c&cbll=30.287432,-81.389947&panoid=9q4cquhAyg4lC4iI013l-w&cbp=12,157.49538365438676,,0,1.517662104961194


In the past seven years I have done a lot of cool things... built up a business and sold it, started my real estate business and watched it grow and become profitable as well as a have a lot of people come into my life and leave... some good.. some.. well.. they probably were good people.. just not right for me... but I can not remember anytime in the past seven years where I could turn all of that stuff off and just relax.

Tonight, I took Andrew to his friends house and made my way back to the boat. I made an awesome dinner of Jerk Chicken and basically just relaxed. I turned off my phone, did not check emails, did not log into facebook. I listened to some Jimmy Buffet (of course... I am on a boat) and enjoyed doing nothing, just watching the river and the dogs sleeping.

I hope that when I am done with this adventure it is a lesson I do not forget.... I wonder if there is anyone that understands.... or more importantly could have sat out on the back deck of the boat with me.

Well it is almost 11:30 and after a great evening of good food, good music and some good beer... it is about time to hit the rack..

so until my next post..

"with these changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, nothing remains quite the same, with all of my running and all of my cunning, if I couldn't laugh, I would go insane" - JB

Mike
Captain of the boat :-)

1 comment:

  1. Very self aware, Mike. You always were helping others, AND you were always achieving your goals. I didn't know you were capable of relaxing though! Good to hear.

    ReplyDelete